Hold on to Peace - Image courtesy Ira Mitchell-Kirk

Hold on to Peace - Image courtesy Ira Mitchell-Kirk

Monday 17 January 2011

Rest in Peace




















.
The mixed media works by Sally Blyth invoke images of the thousands of tombstones in war zones.

Sally's works, incorporating her own photographs, contain an irridescent paint that shows up only in certain angles. In the second exhibition (Roccasecca (FR) Italy) these works were surrounded by red cemetery memorial candles and this caught the gentle glow of the work. Combined with some spirtually evocative music by Hirini Melbourne this added a very special and haunting place of reverence at the end of the long gallery space.

Below: "Remembering" and "Remembrance"









































Of her works in general Sally writes: Inspired by countries, their cultures and various eras of time, I love sourcing new ideas and materials, and devising innovative ways of interpreting and using them. I often incorporate my own photographic images into my work.

My aim is to evoke a sense of actually being in a particular place and time, rather than recreate an image which can be captured on camera. A symbol, a colour, a word, an image, an impression, a mood ... if the viewer can recall the feeling of being in that place; gain the desire to be there; experience that moment in time again ... then the art has done its work.

I use acrylics, oils, inks, woodstains, metallics and all sorts of mixed media in my work, on canvas and board, as well as more unusual backgrounds. Colour, texture and iridescence are important elements in my work, and by adding subtle touches and embellishments, I hope you will look beyond your first glance.


Interestingly enough the evocative nature of Sally's work in the ancient gallery space was itself almost impossible to catch by camera so is not recorded in images here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi it's LINDA DICKENS ; NEW ZEALAND ARTIST ; I AM PLEASED MY PAINTINGS HAVE BEEN RE- EXHIBITED IN ITALY EACH YEAR; I THINK THAT IS LOVERLY; I WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND MYSELF NEXT YEAR IF I GET THE SURGERY I NEED; I WELL LIVE AND HOPE; THANKS LINDA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to meeting you Linda. I will email soon. Legato is always the second two weeks of May in Cassino.

    ReplyDelete